Migraine headache is a condition involving periodic and often intense episodes of head pain associated with a host of vascular (blood vessel), biochemical, and micro-muscular changes that can be brought on by many different triggering events. Common triggers include hormonal changes, food sensitivities, barometric pressure changes, recent injuries and injuries from long ago, musculoskeletal fatigue, and changes in sleep patterns, as well as a variety of emotional and stress mediated circumstances. Different combinations of triggers build up that eventually lead to the migraine event. Sometimes, the migraine is preceded by migraine aura, but this is not true for everyone.
Holistic treatment of migraine at PIH involves understanding your particular combination of migraine sensitivities that lead to expression of migraine in your particular circumstance. We then work with you to develop effective strategies to help you remain below your migraine threshold: No threshold, no migraine.
Specific treatment approaches may include:
- A comprehensive, multidisciplinary consultation to identify migraine triggers and migraine- maintaining factors that may be the focus of the integrated treatment process (David Alter, PhD, LP).
- Stress management training and biofeedback training (David Alter, PhD, LP), (Harriet Kohen, LICSW).
- Hypnosis and guided imagery training (David Alter, PhD, LP), (Harriet Kohen, LICSW).
- Chinese medicine incorporating acupuncture and herbal therapies (Diane Tanning, RN, MS, LAc)
- Primary care naturopathic medicine, botanical medicine, and homeopathy (Dr. Nate Champion, ND), (Dr. Nita Champion, ND)
At PIH, we begin with a comprehensive evaluation to identify your particular needs and then work with you to design an individualized program of care that will support you in reestablishing health and increase your sense of vitality and well-being. We look forward to working with you on your way to balanced health.