The spectrum of anxiety exists along a continuum. At one end of the continuum are anxiety patterns that tend to involve disturbances of thought (e.g., worries, intrusive or obsessive thoughts, and behavioral rituals people use to control their thoughts or fears that are associated with the unpleasant or frightening thoughts). At the other end of the continuum of anxiety are difficulties with the regulation of emotions or physical sensations in the body (e.g., cascades of intense emotions and physical sensations in the heart, gut, or lungs that can induce panic, feelings or disconnection or dissociation, or can flood the mind with seemingly uncontrollable memories of events from the past).
When anxiety disorders arise, it is important to recognize that there is no “one size fits all” approach to treating it. At Partners in Healing of Minneapolis (PIH), we offer a variety of approaches to help you learn to take charge of anxiety patterns. We can help turn them from overwhelming and disturbing problems back into the intelligent built-in self-protection mechanism that anxiety was designed to be. Whether you ultimately need specific tools and techniques, psychotherapies, or acupuncture, PIH of Minneapolis can help you to develop an anxiety management plan designed to address you particular needs.
At PIH, we can help you with the following anxiety conditions:
- General anxieties
- Panic disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorders (PTSD) (See Section on Trauma Recovery and Abuse Recovery)
We draw upon Western and Eastern traditions that attend to the mental, emotional, physical, relational, and for some, the spiritual dimensions of healing including:
- Stress management training, biofeedback training (David Alter, PhD, LP), (Harriet Kohen, LICSW)
- Hypnosis and guided imagery training (David Alter, PhD, LP), (Deborah Simmons, PhD, LMFT), (Lois Fischer, MA, LMFT), (Harriet Kohen, MSW, LICSW)
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) to address emotional and physical trauma (Lois Fischer, MA, LMFT), (Deborah Simmons, PhD, LMFT).
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) , (Lois Fischer, MA, LMFT), (Deborah Simmons, PhD, LMFT), (Harriet Kohen, MSW, LICSW), (David Alter, PhD, LP).
- Chinese medicine incorporating acupuncture and herbal therapies (Diane Tanning, RN, MS, LAc)
At PIH, we begin with a comprehensive evaluation to identify your particular needs and then work with you to design an individualized program of care that will support you in re-establishing health and increase your sense of vitality and well-being. We look forward to working with you on your way to balanced health.